My Dog is a Mixed Breed

My precious Rascal has no pedigree. We think his momma was mostly a Blue Heeler. Daddy? Well, that’s anybody’s guess. Our first dog,  who he never met was also a mix.  Lucky was part Lab. We don’t get too hung up on pedigrees around here. Actually, trying to figure out our dog’s heritage is a bit of a conversation starter. Rascal is a puppy and is still very active. So, he needs mucho exercise. Problem is that he doesn’t like to say hello to neighbors.  He has work to do. He needs to GO!

Dogs are so great…they have their own personalities. I know some traits are genetic and that is determined by the breeds in their pedigree. I see Rascal herding anything that moves. I also see him chasing birds like nobody business. What makes him want to be right beside me at all times? Bring me every little thing that might be fun to play with? Eat every sock that is left in his reach? Roll in nasty smelling stuff?

Obviously, many people like to know what they are getting and therefore go the purebred route. I actually had someone ask me once why I keep getting “those mutts”. Well, the answer may lie partially in the fact that I too am a mutt. My  family has lived in the south so long that I wouldn’t know what ethnicity box to check. I’m a little like a friend’s dog who was adopted as a puppy. This dog was so interesting looking, his owner just had to know what breeds were floating in his gene pool. I’m told that he paid $75 for a DNA test to find out his beloved pooch had 75 different breeds  in  him. At least he got his monies worth! I’ve been doing a little geneology work. We’ve been in the South since the 1700′s . That kind of makes me a purebreed… Pure Redneck! LOL

About Debbie

I have been married for 20 years to a Yankee, have two great kids, a fun and funny Southern family, and a whole bunch of friends. I try to enjoy the journey!
This entry was posted in Family, Pets and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to My Dog is a Mixed Breed

1. Dina Snow says:

I wanted to adopt a mutt but I was rejected How embarrassing is that? So I had the pay for a designer mutt. What is the difference between a mixed breed and a mutt any way?

• Debbie says:

I have an “in” with AAU!…they are PARTICULAR about who adopts!
      Of course, Rascal and I love Natalie!

2. Debbie says:

Your little Rascal is so cute! My Sheltie is purebred, but he’s not snooty about it! Rascal sounds just like a dog my Sheltie would love to meet.

3. Katybeth says:

My Jack Russell is named Rascal and is the love of my life. She is purebred. I wanted a dog to show–A lot of different kinds of dogs visit Camp-Run-A-Pup (my business) and I am happy that many of them are adopted mix breeds that have been given forever homes. Knowing what type of “Rascal” will work best for your family is the key to happily ever after.
    Rascal is very cute!

• Debbie says:

Katybeth, every one of us has a little rascal in us. I’m glad you have furry Rascal! Thanks for stopping by!

4. KtheGreat says:

Gurl, if you’re a mutt, I’m a mutt.. WAIT!!! No, I’m not! Remember, I’m adopted!

5. Catherine says:

Hi Debbie! Great story about Rascal. Everyone up here has “designer” purebred dogs and I’m proud of our “junkyard dog” Blackie!

6. Becky G says:

I am a mutt too. Although I do have enough Native American blood (Cherokee-1/16th ) to keep me out of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Not that i tried to be a member, just heard that no “indians” allowed!

• Debbie says:

Funny Becky! I could apply to the DAR and never have. Was considering it for my daughter…I have about 2 drops less than you of Cherokee…

7. I had to laugh because I always say that I am a mutt, too!!! Having lived in a lot of different places over the years has made me appreciate and embrace my “muttness”. I think Rascal is beautiful and I am glad that there are people like you in the world who do not have to have the top of the line best of the line kind of dog! !!! And I am sure Rascal is glad too!

8. Beth Melberg says:

Love this last post. We are getting our daughter a mutt from the Humane Society for her birthday in August…and I was wondering if I was doing the right thing or not. Seems everyone I know is getting a pure breed these days. Mutts have character! Thanks for the reminder!
    Beth

• Debbie says:

Thanks Beth! Picking out a family pet is a big commitment. I got Rascal through Angel’s Among Us. Thanks for stopping by!