Boogie Shoes at Christmas

I’m gonna take you back to Christmas Eve 1975ish. My mom’s (aka Vee) side of the family always gathered on Christmas Eve to swap gifts, hang out, eat, play cards, eat, laugh, eat….and DRINK! Head count…Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw, five daughters, 5 son-in-laws, 12 grandchildren, Granny Parker, and anyone else that might want to drop by. There were people in the den, kitchen, dining room, and probably outside.

Paw-Paw always gave his teenage wife her gift on this night. Well, Maw-Maw got a stereo for Christmas that year.  As the night rolled along, the atmosphere started to change. Somebody wanted to try the stereo out. I think it was Don (Sue’s husband). So, plug it up…and CRANK IT UP! There were people dancing. MawMaw was jitterbugging. Paw-Paw was dancing. Don, Sue, Tim and Sandra were doing some 70 some kind of disco dance. The air was ALIVE! Oh my …..it was LOUD….it was CRAZY…it was GREAT!  Friends of the community started coming. I remember the Parker boys. Helen and Billy Parker came by.  I will say this, this is my favorite Parker Christmas. But, all of a sudden, one of Vee’s sisters STORMED in. M.A.D.! Her party animal of husband was S.I.C.K! Friends, it wasn’t from chips and dip or too many chicken wings…it was from betting with PawPaw! All of the son-in-laws, except Wayne, bet Paw-Paw that they could hang with him …DRINKING! They were drunk as bicycles! Of course, as kids we had no idea what was going on. It was just super fun. Later as teenagers, Maw-Maw told us all about it. “The men were doing ok until William (Paw-Paw) brought out that dang MOONSHINE!” Tim (Sandra’s husband) got sick as a dog. I do remember him outside. I also remember the QUIET ride home in our car. I also remember on Christmas Day Lillie Parker lowered the boom. The stereo was placed back where it belonged. The men were playing cards and keeping a real low profile, and the kids…well, we goofed off as normal. Lillie Parker didn’t want a replay of the night before…but….I SURE DID! I’m sure there were folks that got mad. The night the boys took on PawPaw was one for the record books!

This entry was posted in Family, Southern childhood Memories. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Boogie Shoes at Christmas

1. Pingback: Everybody Dance Now! | Simply Diane…

2. Diane says:

This story reminds me of a few of our Southern family gatherings…loud, drinking, mad…yep, all the makings of a great party! Enjoyed the post, Debbie. Dance on!

3. Scarlett says:

Well, I remember it well as one of the BEST Christmas Eves ever! We were ALL dancing and having a great time. I certainly had no idea anyone was “over-indulging” nor did I need to know that. I certainly don’t need or want to judge any of it! Rather, I would give just about anything to relive that night…..my tee-totalling Daddy healthy once again, Maw Maw and Paw Paw alive and flirting with one another after 55+ years of marriage (not sure how many years they had been married in 1975ish), Granny shaking her head and chuckling, all of us running around giggling and twirling…….I am so grateful to have come from such a fun family with so many members who aren’t afraid to EAT, DRINK, Be MERRY, and DANCE – to our own drummers!
    Great post K – it made my day! I think I shall post on my FB page!

• Debbie says:

S, it was a fun evening. I really only learned about the moonshine wager recently. I, would like to be a ghost of that Christmas Past!

• Christina says:

Denise…I am with you. I would give just about anything to relive those days again. I am so thankful to be a part of our family. We were/are so blessed!

4. GranRie says:

I don’t know about some people being mad;however, I can testify of some that didn’t approve of over indulgence,especially Christmas Eve with children a time for fun not over drinking. A time and place for everything and sometimes not everything. But had fun just being at mother and daddy’s. I do remember Miss Lillie taking care of that situation and letting the kids made NOISE and lots of it on Christmas Day. Now, that was the funny part.

5. Christina says:

Too funny! We all had some good times.

• Debbie says:

C, when were you born? do you remember that night?

• Christina says:

I was born in 76. I vaguely remember it, but I am sure it was quite the party! Miss the times we had at Mimmi and Papas…

• Christina says:

Ok just saw that this Christmas was probably around the time I was a toddler so maybe my memories are of another Christmas lol. I remember many, many wonderful Christmases with our family. Always full of love, fun, and laughter!

6. Pingback: Clear the dance floors and hide the children…. | Falling Down The Rabbit Hole